Amanda-Users

Re: ok, I'm getting there...permissions problem

2003-07-02 13:22:32
Subject: Re: ok, I'm getting there...permissions problem
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy AT methanesea DOT com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:19:49 +0200
Jeremy Hansen wrote:
This is what I have in disklist

srv1.methanesea.com /home/drew hard-disk-dump

This is my problem:
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: srv1.methanesea.com: [could not access /home/drew (/home/drew): Permission denied]
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.018 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.3)

Where am I getting the permissions problem?

It's always educational to have a look in the debug
files /tmp/amanda/*.timestamp.debug and see the program
that generated this errormessage.

Is there something that needs to be suid in there?

rundump and runtar are both suid root (but I believe their effectiveness
is not tested with amcheck, I should take a look in the source code
for that.)

Seeing your dumptype "hard-disk-dump", are you using dump and not
of gnutar?  And seeing the directory "/home/drew", is this a mountpoint
or is this a subdirectory of a mount point?  That's because dump does
not work on subdirectories; but in that case the message would be
"disk offline?" or such.
But if it is a mount point and you are using dump, is amanda in the group that can read the /dev/xxx file? (usually "disk" on Linux)