Amanda-Users

Re: this is what I'd like to do

2003-07-01 04:49:41
Subject: Re: this is what I'd like to do
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy AT methanesea DOT com>, AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:47:33 +0200
Jeremy Hansen wrote:
I've been using Arkeia for a while but recently my license has expired and I'd like to try using Amanda.

I'd like to backup all of localhost to a second hard drive in the server. Can Amanda do this? I was looking for some quick start like documentation to get me going but didn't see anything really in terms of just getting a simple backup going with a local disk. Any pointers to docs would be appreciated.

First install and configure amanda following the instructions in
docs/INSTALL.  Don't forget to "amcheck YourConfig".
Configure a small disklist to test.

For backup to disk, you can use the "file:" driver.
Read the section in the man page about "OUTPUT DRIVERS", and
especially the "file" driver. If you understood that, you
can configure the backup with the file driver.

For using the file driver, we only have to change the
"tapedev" directive in amanda.conf to e.g.
  tapedev "file:/amanda-bkup/daily"

A simple approach is: make a directory, e.g. /amanda-bkup/daily,
owned by amanda. Create subdirectories for each tape used,
e.g.  daily-01, daily-02, daily-03, etc.
Then make "data" a symlink of the "current" tape:
  ln -s daily-01 data
(we have now "inserted" the first tape in our file-drive.)

Label that tape (this has to be done once for each tape only):
   amlabel daily Daily-01

Now try "amcheck daily" again (assuming you had done that already
when following the instructions in docs/INSTALL) and solve each "ERROR"
it reports. (You may ignore the NOTE's).

And now you can dump your first backup:

        amdump daily

To proceed to the next tape, point the "data" symlink to the correct
"tape":
        cd /amanda-bkup/daily
        rm data
        ln -s daily-02 data