Amanda-Users

Re: Failed Backups

2003-05-31 16:24:33
Subject: Re: Failed Backups
From: Chris Gordon <chris AT theory14 DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:18:16 -0400
Jon,

Thanks for looking at this for me.

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 03:37:18AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> > -- AMANDA MAIL REPORT --
> > These dumps were to tape standard14.
> > The next 7 tapes Amanda expects to used are:
> > standard16, standard17,
> > standard18,
> > +standard19, standard20, standard21, standard22.
>
> Interesting that "standard15" is not mentioned.
> It may have bearing on my guesses.

That "tape" has been used before -- I have been running amanda long
enough for it to cycle through all of my "tapes" and to have used
standard15 before.  I have rechecked everything to make sure it is setup
like all of my other "tapes" (I used a script to initially create them
all to minimize chance of errors.).

> > FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >   gilgamesh. / lev 1 FAILED [unknown response: 0;]
> >   gilgamesh. / lev 1 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
> >   goblin.the /var lev 1 FAILED [can't dump no-hold disk in degraded mode]
>
> A scan of the source shows that message only coming in one place.
> At that time the backup has entered degraded mode.  Further, the message
> is only printed if the backup is not using a holding disk.
>
> So first I presume you are not using a holding disk.

I have added a holding disk to see if that helps.

> So I'm guessing you have a size limit on your "disk tapes" and standard14
> reached that limit.

Yes, I have them set to 5 GB.  I can't find any reference in the man
pages, but would setting the length to 0 let the tape be infinitely
long?

> When the changer script went to switch to standard15,
> an error occured.  That put you into degraded mode, and without a holding
> disk, backups of all subsequent DLE's failed.
>
> A place to start looking at least.

I've read over all of the man pages and the limited data I've found on
the net.  From your comments, it seems that reading the source is the
only really good source of detailed documentation and troubleshooting.
Is that true and if so, is there a specific place I should start reading
to get details of error messages, etc?

Thanks,
Chris