Amanda-Users

Re: Configuring RH7.2 Amanda out of the box - error accessing Ama nda hosts file.

2003-05-31 11:43:40
Subject: Re: Configuring RH7.2 Amanda out of the box - error accessing Ama nda hosts file.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users Listserve <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 11:35:39 -0400
On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:14:08PM +0200, Wojciech Jedliczka wrote:

> I always RTFM many times.
> Inside all docs files in amanda distribution is no place
> giving suggestion about .amandahosts permissions.
> Amandahosts file is used for authorization and therefore
> it is important who owns these file and who has access
> to read and write.
> From the security point of view is better to has 600
> than 660 but both are acceptable for me.

In this case the guidelines are based on the BSD authentication
scheme using the .rhosts file as a model.  Remberance of either
usage or past documentation would make me say 600 is the proper
permissions as the programs specifically ignored a file even
readable by group or other.  However I don't see that on the
manpage for rhosts on my system now.  A similar file, .netrc
does have those requirements (listed on the manpage too) but
that has nothing to do with amanda.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)