Amanda-Users

restoring question

2003-05-27 15:50:43
Subject: restoring question
From: "Martin, Jeremy" <jmartin AT gsi-kc DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:48:39 -0500
I have amanda working ok backing the server up as well as another client.
However I'm still not quite certain I understand how the restore process works.

I want to have one full backup every 7 days, so I understand that each day the
"tape" (still just using a local folder to simulate tapes for now) would get
about 1/7th of the data written to it + any incremental data. But I'm not sure
how I can determine which tapes I need to restore in the event that a restore
is necessary.

Let's say I have been backing up the /usr folder and it has been slightly
change every day for the past week. So I'd have to restore the backup from 7
days ago, then from 6 days ago, then 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 days ago? Or does amanda
have some way to search for a given file name or folder name and it will then
spit out which tape(s) I'd need to restore to get those files or that folder
back?

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, I've found answers to a number of other
questions I had in the list archive but I couldn't figure out what terms to
search for to find the answer to this.

Jeremy Martin
Network Technician
http://www.gsi-kc.com