Amanda-Users

AMANDA Survey Results - 5 of 6 - Special Feature Usage

2003-05-23 14:06:19
Subject: AMANDA Survey Results - 5 of 6 - Special Feature Usage
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:47:48 -0400
In April 2003, readers of the amanda-user mailing list were asked
fill out and submit a survey form describing their use of the
amanda backup system.  Seventy two (72) responses were received.

What follows is a summarization of the responses describing the
use of two special features of recent versions of amanda, the
"file:driver" to use a hard disk drive as a backup device and
RAIT (Redundant Array of 'Inexpensive' Tapedrives) to allow
mirroring or striping of backups across multiple drives.

=== The file:driver ===

Do you use the <file:driver>?

  53 no
  11 yes
   5 what is the <file:driver>

If not, do you expect to?

  32 no
  14 yes
   8 maybe

=== RAIT ==

Do you use RAIT?

  68   no
   0   yes

If not, do you expect to?

  40   no
   8   yes
   3   maybe

[Surveyor's Note]  I was mildly surprised, and amused, by the 5 "what is the
<file:driver> responses.  And considering those responses, but the lack of
similar responses to the RAIT question.

[Surveyor's Note]  No respondent uses RAIT!  Disappointing.  I wonder if any
site is currently using this feature.