Amanda-Users

Re: Backup Exchange database

2003-05-23 03:09:32
Subject: Re: Backup Exchange database
From: Leonid Mamchenkov <f.l.amanda-users AT news.francoudi DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 07:05:34 +0000 (UTC)
Dear S?bastien Lefebvre,

Once you wrote about "Backup Exchange database":
SbL> I have to backup an Exchange server.
SbL> I know the file can be locked (even in read mode).
SbL> How can I backup this server ?

The best way I found until now is to dump Exchange database into the
file using Windows built-in backup software.  Afterwards, backup the
resulting file to tape using amanda.

Since our Exchange dump file is approaching the size of the tape now,
I'll have to see if Windows backup can split the damn thing into several
files. :)

SbL> I've heard about OFM (Open File Manager). What does consist in ?

Open File Manager (OFM) is something different.  It allows you to read
(backup) files that are open by the system for writing.  It's a good
thing to have OFM installed on those Windows hosts that you backup.

It will not help you to backup Exchange in any way, though, because
Exchange is a database application and not as simple as a file.  You
will have to preserve consistancy while you backup the database, and OFM
cannot do that.

SbL> Are there any other way to do that ?

Yes, of course.  You can buy commercial backup software with special
plugin for Exchange backup.  Examples are numerous and easy to find. :)

--
Best regards,
  Leonid Mamtchenkov, RHCE

BOFH: According to Microsoft, it's by design