Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer

2003-05-22 13:33:42
Subject: Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT linux DOT se>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:30:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 May 2003 at 7:23pm, Per von Zweigbergk wrote

> However, is it possible to tell Amanda to never ever use more than one
> tape per day, circumventing the lack of a tape changer or tape
> operator? Basically, it might be able to fully dump one filesystem, and
> only do incremental dumps on the rest of them, never performing more
> than one full dump per tape.

Of course.  A *lot* of people run amanda without changers.  'runtapes' in
amanda.conf tells amanda how many tapes it can use per amdump.

> One last issue. Am I correct in saying that the best way to circumvent
> the limintation of Amanda not being able to split filesystem dumps
> across tapes, is to make sure that the partitions only are about 50 GB?
> (With 72 GB tapes.) So, basically, have several seperate home
> partitions...

*Or* you can use tar as your backup program and just specify
subdirectories of the partitions, i.e. /home/user1, /home/user2, etc are
all separate DLEs.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering