Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover : must be run by root

2003-05-20 01:00:53
Subject: Re: amrecover : must be run by root
From: Sven Rudolph <rudsve AT drewag DOT de>
To: cabieces.julien AT wanadoo DOT fr
Date: 20 May 2003 06:56:52 +0200
Julien CABIECES <cabieces.julien AT wanadoo DOT fr> writes:

> I have reinstall amanda 2.4.4 and I have created a dump user. I would like to
> know if I have to use amrecover as root or can I use it as my dump user.
>
> I have done :
>
> # su media2i
> $ amrecover
> amrecover must be run by root

You can make it setuid root (and should restrict execution to the dump
user):

-rwsr-x---    1 root     backup      56168 Nov  6  2002 /usr/sbin/amrecover

Root permissions are only used for authentication to the amanda
server, everything else runs as the user starting the program.

This means that the tar runs as non-root, so it cannot restore file
ownerships.

        Sven