Amanda-Users

RE: Still getting timeout, is there ANYTHING else I should look a t?

2003-05-19 16:51:01
Subject: RE: Still getting timeout, is there ANYTHING else I should look a t?
From: Ron Snyder <snyder AT roguewave DOT com>
To: "'Rebecca Pakish Crum'" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>, gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:46:52 -0700
If I was troubleshooting this problem, I'd want to verify that all the right
network communications are able to occur.  I'd have 1 window for every
interface that my packets are going to be touching, and in every windows I'd
be running tcpdump with the appropriate options to show me the amanda
packets.  (If the machine times are in sync, it'll be a lot easier to
follow, too.)

I'd make the necessary changes to amanda so that _only_ the troubled amanda
client is attempted-- this would let me make the attempt again and again
during the day, w/o worrying about messing up (or starting) other real
backups.  (You could even have a very small partition on the client get
backed rather than the "real" ones.)

Of course, if the two machines always have "normal" communications going on
anyway (like if the web server is pulling data from a database on the amanda
server), then tcpdumps will need to be very selective.

====
Here's my understanding of your setup, please correct where wrong:
amanda client---(10.1.10.x net)---Firewall---(10.1.8.x net)---amanda server
Your amanda client and the firewall are both running solaris 6.
Your amanda server is running RH 8.

Are there any other things that could account for an increase in network
traffic during the nighttime hours?  I've noticed with our own CP firewall
that quiet connections get timed out much faster when there's lots of
connections occurring than when the network is not busy (eg. an ssh
connection to my home computer could be left all weekend with no I/O w/o any
problems, but monday morning if I left it for 1/2 hour, I'd have lost the
connection).

Good luck,
-ron