Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover Permission denied error

2003-05-19 15:22:02
Subject: Re: amrecover Permission denied error
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Paul Barton <paul AT moonkhan DOT org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:21:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 May 2003 at 2:40pm, Paul Barton wrote

> amrestore: could not open /dev/tape: Permission denied
> amidxtaped: time 0.005: amrestore terminated normally with status: 2
> amidxtaped: time 0.005: rewinding tape ...
> amidxtaped: time 0.005: tape_rewind: tape open: /dev/tape: Permission denied
> amidxtaped: time 0.005: pid 16792 finish time Mon May 19 13:50:19 2003
>
> I tried running amrestore with the 6 arguments listed above on the tape
> server (data1) as user amanda - it worked fine. Any ideas why I would be
> getting Permission denied errors on /dev/tape with amidxtaped?

You don't mention the OS on the tape server, but here's a guess.  With
xinetd, e.g., only the primary group permissions are used unless you
specify "groups = yes" in the relevant service config file.  So, if you
give the amanda user access to whatever /dev/tape points to via a
secondary group permission, this may not get applied to amidxtaped when it
gets run via xinetd.

If that's not it, we'll need more info on the server side OS/config.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering