Amanda-Users

Reuse Last Nights Tape

2003-05-07 14:24:42
Subject: Reuse Last Nights Tape
From: Gibran Marquez <gmarquez AT indyme DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 11:18:16 -0700
I wanted to find out how one would go about reusing the same tape from a
previous backup, say last night. I'm trying to run test due to other issues
of not getting a new client on board.

I know that "amflush" will pretty much bump the rotation, for example if
Amanda "amcheck" indicated that Tape002 was next tape to write to, "amflush"
would flush the dumps and then set Tape003 as the next tape, right???

How would I be able to go the opposite direction and actually set Tape002
the next tape to use.

I've messed with the "tapelist" and changer-slot files to try to trick it in
the past and it worked a few times, but I've read that this is NOT
recommended from this mailing list, and besides it didn't work this time.

I also opted to use "amadmin reuse" but here's what I got:
--------------
(as root)# su amanda -c "amadmin DailySet2 reuse Tapelist002"
amadmin: tape Tape002 already reusable.
This lead me to believe that reuse simply makes a tape reusable if not
specified in the tapelist.

I'm using Linux RedHat 8.0 on mostly all systems (server & clients).

-Regards,
Gibran Marquez
I hear if you play the Windows XP CD backward you'll hear satanic messages.
But even scarier, if you play it forward it installs Windows XP!!