Amanda-Users

RE: dumps spanning tapes

2003-05-07 04:37:34
Subject: RE: dumps spanning tapes
From: DK Smith <dks AT MediaWeb DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 01:34:06 -0700
The next level of this (which I thought was very interesting) would be to
allow AMANDA to write chunks of backups as they become available, without
waiting for an entire DLE to be ready. This would allow the tape to start
writing almost immediately, an advantage for sites with lots of large DLEs.

Sort of near-topic...

Regarding a DLE producing a very large dumpfile... What is the experience of those that have added a * in order to file expand (or is it regex?) the directory names in /home directory? Would this have the effect of making the amdump run shorter?

There was a resolution to the restorability issue, I think with a small
package of tools at the beginning of each tape, but I'm not sure.

would this not also have the side effect of more specific selection possibilities, and hence shorter time to restoration?

( Not suggesting that this will solve anyone's problems, I am soliciting experiences of those that did this and were also paying close attention :)

thank you...
DK