Amanda-Users

Re: Recovering from corrupt gzip tar

2003-05-06 19:38:10
Subject: Re: Recovering from corrupt gzip tar
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 19:34:23 -0400
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:55:49PM -0500, C. Chan wrote:
> I eventually did something similar by running dd in a loop, and got back
> almost all of the 12GB of the tar archive except for a few bad blocks.
> I concatenated the pieces together into one file.
>
> However the tar archive was compressed using gzip and trying to
> restore with tar stops at the first missing record:
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
> Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 630423552+32768, wrote 0
> amrestore: pipe reader has quit in middle of file.
> amrestore: skipping ahead to start of next file, please wait...
> tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
>

> Is there a way to recover from such an error in a gzip tar archive
> by using a binary editor to add fake data?

Many archive programs have options to skip over corruption to the start
of the next archived file.  I "think" gnutar has such an option but I
have not looked.

However most likely the problem is in uncompressing the file.  I am unaware
of anyway to resynchronize a gunzip after the corruption.  Without that
tar will not be able to do anything.

Perhaps you should seek a mailing list or netnewsgroup devoted to compression
and ask their members.

jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)