Amanda-Users

amrecover/amrestore failing

2003-05-01 18:56:51
Subject: amrecover/amrestore failing
From: George Kelbley <kelbley AT cs.unm DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 16:55:13 -0600
I just ran into a problem I've never seen before trying to restore files
from a large file system.  I'm not sure but it appears that either tar
or gzip is unhappy about the size of the file created by amanda during
amdump, but amdump is running w/o errors.  The files system is 51GB
total, with lots of user directories inside.  When I try to extract
files via amrecover it finds them fine in the indexes and points me to
the correct tape, but once it start to extract the files I invariable
get:

tar: Skipping to next header,

which isn't very helpful.  If I use amrestore, it fails with :

gzip: stdout: File too large
Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 1693417472+32768, wrote 0
amrestore: pipe reader has quit in middle of file.
amrestore: skipping ahead to start of next file, please wait...

This is running on a linux amanda server, 2.4.2p2-4, the os is debian
linux 3.0, kernel is 2.4.18.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

--
George Kelbley                  System Support Group
Computer Science Department     University of New Mexico