Amanda-Users

RE: Frontend , UI for amanda ?

2003-03-31 20:43:44
Subject: RE: Frontend , UI for amanda ?
From: Gordon Pritchard <gordonp AT sfu DOT ca>
To: Thomas Hu <thomash AT date DOT com>
Date: 31 Mar 2003 16:09:36 -0800
On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 14:00, Thomas Hu wrote:

> Amanda is client-server based product. This means, while its client
> might be in "bare" OS, amanda server is not. The server has to be fully
> functioning to provide the data recovering/restoring service.

        More heretical musings :-)

        More and more, as my servers improve in horsepower, I'm moving from
command-line minimalist environments to GUI.  I mean, having X sitting
there doing nothing takes a pretty light toll on a 3GHZ server with 1GB
or more DDR...

        Much of my day-to-day admin *is* in fact done via SSH and a console
window, but when I go to the server-room, it's a lot friendlier and
nicer to have a full-blown GUI...  Indeed, there are times I Ctrl-Alt-F2
to a console view, as an option.

        Imagine having a GUI view, when the heat's on, to drag-and-drop restore
a user's files.  Imagine having a graphical tool to show you clients,
directories, scheduled times, etc.  Kind of like a commercial Windows
backup tool, except that it works :-)

> I am not initiating a fire. Forgive me if it would irritate some of you.

        I am not intending to diminish the huge efforts of the Amanda
developers either... it must be a good tool - I'm using it both at home
and at work.

        But I am looking at Bacula now also...

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers