Amanda-Users

Re: newbie having trouble with tape labels

2003-03-31 16:58:59
Subject: Re: newbie having trouble with tape labels
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Bill <bhalpin AT collaborativefusion DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:27:03 -0500
On Mon March 31 2003 10:51, Bill wrote:
>I recently installed amanda on my network to backup a couple of my
> dev boxes.  I understand that a tape must be labelled by amanda
> to be used with the appropriate dump set, but when I follow the
> instructions in the doc, amdump errors out saying that it cannot
> overwrite the active tape. Does someone have more comprehensive
> instructions for labelling tapes and setting up a run?  My
> assumption is I am simply misconstruing the instructions at some
> point.
>
>Thanks
>
>-b

A: tapes must be labeled with individually identifiable labels
        eg: tape-01, tape-02 etc, where the 'tape' portion fits the
        "labelstr" regex pattern in amanda.conf.  Defaults to "DailySet1"
        so the labels then become "DailySet1-01", "DailySet1-02" etc
        unless you change that pattern in amanda.conf.

B: a tape will not be willingly re-used until amanda.conf's
        "tapecycle" tapes have been used before it becomes eligible for
        re-use.

Generally speaking, one should have sufficient tapes to allow a 5 to
7 day dumpcycle, and enough to do a minimum of 2 dumpcycles in
tapecycle.  Multiply accordingly if the tape size vs systems size
is such that you must use runtapes set for more than 1.  This
requires a changer robot or a human to change tapes on demand.  In
the long run the robot is cheaper, it doesn't take coffee breaks,
vacations, sick leave, etc. :)

Amanda will schedule (eventually, its takes her time to get the
schedule fine tuned) the fulls vs the partials over that 5 to 7 day
dumpcycle in an attempt to equalize the tape useage per nightly
run.  Because of this, one should construct his disklist file
entries with 2 things in mind, 1; each entry should be less than a
full tapes worth because amanda cannot span a single entry over
more than 1 tape (breaking into subdir entries for size control
implies the use of tar, as dump cannot do that), and then 2;
uncomment only about a tapes worth of entries per day until its all
exposed, at which point you can probably forget her until she needs
the robots magazines refilled.

If its consistently useing all of a tape & no changer is involved,
then dumpcycle should be expanded a day, or bigger tapes obtained.
Likewise if its only useing half a tape, then dumpcycle can be
reduced, thereby gaining additional security in fewer tapes in the
unlikely event of a recovery need.

Obviously if dumpcycle is expanded, then additional tapes will need
to be labeled and added to the pool in order to maintain the
minimum of at least 2 fulls on hand at all times.  You never want
to get into the situation where a failed full overwrites the only
good full you had, thats genuinely 'bad dog, no bisquit' country.

HTH

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: