Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover failure, corrupted gzip file?

2003-03-29 12:16:31
Subject: Re: amrecover failure, corrupted gzip file?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net, mike.simpson AT doit.wisc DOT edu, Mike Simpson <msimpson AT abyssus.doit.wisc DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:46:31 -0500
On Fri March 28 2003 23:32, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Fri March 28 2003 12:46, Mike Simpson wrote:
>>Hi --
>>
>>> Any tips or tricks or other thoughts?  Is this the Linux
>>> dump/restore problem I've seen talked about on the mailing
>>> list? I don't understand how the gzip file could be corrupted
>>> by a problem internal to the dump/restore cycle.
>>
>>Answering my own question after a week of testing ... I think
>> I've discovered a bug in Amanda 2.4.4.  This is what I've
>> deciphered:
>>
>>(1) Restores of backup sets that compressed to < 1 gb worked
>> fine. Backup sets that, when compressed, were > 1 GB blew up
>> every time with gzip corruption error messages.  This was
>> consistent across OS's (Solaris 8, RedHat 7.x), filesystem types
>> (ufs, vxfs, ext2/3), and backup modes (DUMP, GNUTAR).
>>
>>(2) The gzip corruption message always occured at the same spot,
>> i.e.
>>
>>      gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
>>      Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 1073741824+131072, wrote 0

My recovered test file wasn't gzipped, and it didn't contain a block
of zero's at that offset.  khexedit had a high old time loading
that, took about 10 minutes to load it, and about 15 to find the
exact offset as the scroller went about 1000x too fast per pixel it
moved.

And I just checked my amanda.conf, and I am indeed using a 1G chunk
size.  So everything seems to match except it wasn't gzipped, and
the recovered file is good.  So, while I didn't find anything, this
is one more clue to plug into the detectives data.  I could change
that disklist entry to make it run it thru gzip, but it would
probably expand quite a bit as its my cd collection, ogg-encoded.
ISTR the one time I tried that it compressed to 134%.  But I will
try it for the next dumpcycle.  But dumpcycle is 5 days too, so
that answer won't be instant.

In the meantime, if you figure it out, be sure to post how you did
it.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M