Amanda-Users

Re: Premature overwriting of level 0

2003-03-26 18:56:41
Subject: Re: Premature overwriting of level 0
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:35:15 +0100
Vytas Janusauskas wrote:

Setup:
20 tapes (VXA-2 v-23) Native capacity 67GB.
1 dump cycle.
Amanda version 2.4.2p2
Holding disk 105GB
All DLE are Samba shares for Win95/98/NT6/Win2000.

Problem:
I am now 7 tapes into the second rotation and the level 0 backups are being overwritten. It seems to be due to the large size of incrementals being archived on a daily basis. There are numerous days where Amanda only does incremental (level 1) and even so Amanda is not able to fit them all onto the daily tape.

So you have a dumpcycle of 28 days (assuming you run only on
weekdays) and a runspersycle of 20.
One of the disadvantages of a large dumpcycle is that the
incrementals take up so much space; and having only level 1
incrementals of smbclient makes this even worse, as you can see.

I can't garuantee it works much better, but giving the large
holdingdisk you have, I would give this setup a try:

tapecycle 20 tapes
dumpcycle 14 days
runspercycle 10
runtapes 2
inparallel 10
dumporder "TTTTTTTTTT"  # or S's
taperalgo largestfit

This will dump up to 67*2=134 Gbytes each day.
Once tape is filled during the backup, leaving up to 67 Gbyte in your
holdingdisk to be flushed on the next tape each morning.
The dumporder and taperalgo parameter help to fill the first tape
up to the last byte.

If you have any money left, I would add a second set of 20 tapes too.

Paul