Amanda-Users

Re: List of files on tape

2003-03-26 12:05:44
Subject: Re: List of files on tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:31:36 -0500
On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:27:25PM +0100, Dalton Hubert wrote:
> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> >On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 at 1:53pm, Dalton Hubert wrote
> >

> >>when i make a backup in the night, and then i want to know which files
> >>are on the tape, what i have to do?
> >>
> >>I just want to have _full_ list of directories and files in it.
> >>It is possible to log this in a log file?
> >>
> >>Thx for your help,
> >>Dalton
> >>
> >>PS: For example i have files, but i do not know the exact name, so i look
> >>for it in the list, and then i only recover these files.
> >>Or another example: I want to know if the files are on my tape, before i
> >>make a recovery.
> >

> >If you have 'index yes' in your dumptype, this is being done.  Use
> >'amrecover' to browse through the file lists.  See the man pages for
> >more info.
>
> 'index yes' is set, but i do not want to browse the file list on the tape,
> i want to have log-files on my machine, which include the whole file list.
> Current problem: A file disappeared, but we do not know when and I don't
> want to insert 10 tapes and search on every tape the file.
> So i want go through the log-files, for searching the file, to find out on
> which tape i can find it.

I have to start with the same question again:

Have you ever tried to use amrecover?

When browsing you don't insert any tapes.  It doesn't scan tapes.
You set a date and it shows you what is available.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)