Amanda-Users

Re: dump/restore: Not Recommended!

2003-03-19 17:33:52
Subject: Re: dump/restore: Not Recommended!
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Mark Checklin <markc AT panavision.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:49:07 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 at 7:08am, Mark Checklin wrote

> This is a extract from the Redhat Web sit on Dump/Amanda
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/admin-primer/s1-disa
> ster-backups.html
> I am about to setup a new server with samaba and was going to use amanda
> with dump but found this on redhat webs sit.
> Has any body had this problem, and what would you suggest i use instead?

This is *old* news and has been discussed to death and back on this list
(and others I'm sure).  Tar works quite well for a lot of people.  Your
other option is to use, e.g., XFS, which comes with xfsdump which works
differently from ext2 dump and should avoid its problems.

Test, test, test, and find what works for you.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering