Amanda-Users

Fixed day tapes?

2003-03-18 19:53:15
Subject: Fixed day tapes?
From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen AT pingpong DOT net>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 00:37:28 +0100
Hi!

Is it possible to trick amanda into using a deterministic tape every day of the week, so the tapes can be labeled "Monday odd week", "Tuesday odd week", etc...

I have a customer that wants this. They sometimes forget/fail to insert the right tape, and the operator guy is used to the described procedure from their other systems (yes, they have more than one backup system...) and this makes it less error prone for them.

While I personally don't think it is a great idea, hey, the customer is always right... ?

From what I've read in FAQ:s et al, this cannot really be done with amanda,
but I guess it can be done somehow by tricking amanda? Perhaps a script that runs amadmin no-reuse|reuse commands before each backup to ensure that the right tape is used for dumping? Stupid idea, perhaps? Better ideas?

Thanks,
Palle