Amanda-Users

Re: tapeless changer

2003-03-18 10:05:05
Subject: Re: tapeless changer
From: Jason Edgecombe <jedgecombe AT carolina.rr DOT com>
To: briner <work AT infomaniak DOT ch>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:44:41 -0500
briner wrote:
hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way in the case where we use amanda with a
tapeless system (HD disk), to emulate such a tape-changer that is a
script which change the link "data" to the good HD

in my case
+amanda.conf has the follwing line:
    tapedev "file:/unige/amanda/bckp/"
+ls -l /unige/amanda/bckp/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/data -> sb03_1/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/info
/unige/amanda/bckp/sb01_1 -> /net/obssb1/export/diskB1/1/ /unige/amanda/bckp/sb01_2 -> /net/obssb1/export/diskB1/2/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/sb02_1 -> /net/obssb2/export/diskB1/1/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/sb02_2 -> /net/obssb2/export/diskB1/2/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/sb03_1 -> /net/obssb3/export/diskB1/1/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/sb03_2 -> /net/obssb3/export/diskB1/2/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/sb05_1 -> /net/obssb5/export/diskB1/1/
   /unige/amanda/bckp/sb05_2 -> /net/obssb5/export/diskB1/2/

so as you imagine, i'm changing automatically with a script the link
data to one of the "tape"Disk.

But is there an other smarty way to do this through a special changerdev
which will make things much more easier!

briner

Hi there,

There is a way to use a virutal tape changer with a diskless config in Amanda. It doesn't use links as you ask about though.

Here is how my setup goes:

I created directories /var/amanda/backup1 through backup10. and I created a "data" directory under each of those directories.

Configure amanda to use the chg-multi tape changer. Use a contrived tapetype that is as big as you want your virtual tapes to be.

Here are the relevant parts of my chg-multi.conf file:
--------------------------------------<snip>-----------------------------------
statefile /etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status

# Names a status file where the current ``changer'' state is stored.
statefile /etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status

# What are the slot numbers used in the tape rack?
firstslot 1
lastslot 10

# Enumerate the device files that go with the particular tape changer
# slots. Don't forget to specify the no-rewind version of the device.
slot 1 file:/var/amanda/backup1
slot 2 file:/var/amanda/backup2
slot 3 file:/var/amanda/backup3
slot 4 file:/var/amanda/backup4
slot 5 file:/var/amanda/backup5
slot 6 file:/var/amanda/backup6
slot 7 file:/var/amanda/backup7
slot 8 file:/var/amanda/backup8
slot 9 file:/var/amanda/backup9
slot 10 file:/var/amanda/backup10
The rest of the chg-multi.conf is the same as the chg-multi.conf example file that cones with amanda.

use amtape to manipulate your virtual tape changer and label your virtual tapes.

Amanda will do the rest.

I have had this setup working on RedHat7.3 for a few months now.

Sincerely,
Jason Edgecombe