Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover tar error.

2003-03-17 21:02:00
Subject: Re: amrecover tar error.
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
Date: 18 Mar 2003 01:48:42 +0100
Op ma 17-03-2003, om 18:05 schreef Vytas Janusauskas:
> I am trying to restore a Windows 95 directory to an NT drive connected via
> Samba and get the following error.
>
> /1895-102.tif
> ./1895-103.tif

Does this mean that it restored 1 file?

> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

What command did you use exactly?
What is the amanda headerblock suggesting as command?
Typically these are errors of a corrupted tarfile, and sometimes
simply of trying to extract a gzipped tar file without the -z option.

> Tape drive being used is Eliant 820 drive with the following definition
>
> define tapetype Eliant 820 {
>      comment "Exabyte Eliant 820 drive"
>      length 7 gb
>      filemark 48 kbytes
>      speed 1 mb
> }

As far as I can understand the tapetype here is completely irrelevant.

> Tar version is : tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
> Amanda version is: 2.4.2p2
> Disklist entry is:  backup /dosworld/pent17/e/Colorado10 comp-user-tar

So you have the share smbmounted on a Unix computer named "backup".
Why not using smbclient, as builtin in Amanda?  At least you
can do level 1 incrementals (or maybe even more, I didn't check
in the latest amanda sources.)