Amanda-Users

Re: The Million Dollar amcheck Question (host down)

2003-03-14 12:57:36
Subject: Re: The Million Dollar amcheck Question (host down)
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: ljrsnn <ljrsnn AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:09:30 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 at 3:02pm, ljrsnn wrote

> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: snitch: selfcheck request timed out.  Host
> down?
> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.024 seconds, 1
> problem found

I assume snitch is both client and server?

> -However, NO amandad.*.debug file is created. (using ls -
> lu /usr/local/libexec/amandad, the file is not being accessed when
> amcheck is run)
> Please note that I am using xinetd instead of inetd.
> In /etc/xindetd.d , I have the amanda,amidxtape and
> amindexd files as
> respectively:
>
> # default: off
>
> service amanda {
>         disable         = no
>         socket_type     = dgram
>         protocol        = udp
>         wait            = yes
>         user            = root
>         group           = disk
>         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad

What does 'netstat -l | grep amanda' say?

> This being said, I've also checked my firewalling, and the
> tcpwrappers, and these seem to have no effect.

Have you tried with ipchains shut off?

> I've also tried restarting xinetd, and I made sure that amanda shows
> up in ntsysv.

ntsysv is the wrong tool -- it's a configuration tool, not a status
reporting one.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering