Amanda-Users

Re: How to use FULL capacity - cart TRAVAN NS20 ?

2003-03-13 18:09:36
Subject: Re: How to use FULL capacity - cart TRAVAN NS20 ?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Prods6 - AMANDA - Bkp Mannager <amandab AT hc.unicamp DOT br>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:39:09 +0100
Prods6 - AMANDA - Bkp Mannager wrote:

Hi frinds and Amanda User's ...

Please ... Look ... I'm user of cart model TRAVAN NS20  for Full_bkp's,
but I don't know why the taper don't use the full capacity of these
tapes (20Gb).
The max utilization is in 10Gb ...

I'm not a user of travan tapes. Are you sure the *native* capacity is 20 Gbyte?
Or is it 10 Gbyte with an optimistic 2:1 compression ratio?

But there is more...

. . .

NOTES:
 driver: WARNING: /backup_full/amanda: 9437184 KB requested, but only
4734548 KB available.
 taper: tape AMF902 kb 7807520 fm 67 writing file: Input/output error

Your first tape ran into EOT around 7.8 Gbyte. If your tape is expected to be around 10 Gbyte native, then this is a sign of using both hardware compression
and software compression, otherwise I would expect 9.x Gbyte.

 taper: retrying prods6.hc.unicamp.br://samara/util_02.0 on new tape:
[writing file: Input/output error]
 taper: tape AMF903 kb 2445792 fm 2 writing file: Input/output error

Your second tape encountered an error (there is not much difference between
hitting End Of Tape or encountering a hard tape write error*) after only 2.4 Gbyte.
This is typical of hardware problems.
Can you see error messages in the syslog around that time?

Reply me how to increase total capacity size for this cart TRAVAN NS/20
... tks so much

Download the latest amanda, and then run "amtapetype -e 20g" to find
out the real capacity of your drive.

.... please ===>>>> what're these msg's:

1) -> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: Input/output error]].

What can I say more: Amanda was writing a file, then she got an
input/output error, and Amanda concluded "a tape error occurred".

2) -> prods6.hc. //samara/util lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]

fine, Amanda said, I'll put that file on the second tape; but then that one ran out of tape too, without writing the complete file. There were no tapes left (and
you also had not much holdingdisk space either), and she gave up. But she
warns you that the backup of //samara/util level 0 failed.

Paul