Amanda-Users

RE: tapes are doomed

2003-03-13 13:58:45
Subject: RE: tapes are doomed
From: "D. Keith Higgs" <dkh2 AT cwru DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:37:14 -0500
Just because your organization has gone to backups on multi-petabit NAS devices
doesn't mean you don't have a use for AMANDA. You still need something to drive
that NAS system and, I see nothing wrong with AMANDA for that purpose.

Yes, the NAS vendor (EMC?) is going to have a full blown software solution for
you, complete with remote access administrative tools and a whole fleet of tech
support genies to save your sorry keister when you do something stupid but,...
if you have network access to storage space, so does AMANDA.  Just do a
tapeless configure that writes backups to the NAS.

Up sides: you can get as broad or fine grained as you want and you have the
ability to impose user quotas.  Use a little bit of clever scripting and you
have a means of rotating backup files so you only keep the most recent ###
complete backup cycles.

Down sides: I haven't thought of any yet.

D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 AT cwru DOT edu> x0559
 Case Western Reserve University, Webmaster - University Library
 Additional Information at http://www.cwru.edu/UL/ and http://keith.cwru.edu/
"Follow the white rabbit."