Amanda-Users

backup plan needs comments

2003-03-06 15:14:21
Subject: backup plan needs comments
From: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:33:29 -0800
Hi everyone,

I have this backup plan in mind as below, and would hope if anyone
can suggest what can be wrong, can be hard to set up, or any suggestions. Anything is appreciated.

  Second HD (Amanda)                      Tapes
Full   |   Incremental                Weekly(20GB)  |  Daily(12GB)
Full - - - - - - - - - - copied to - -> Weekly 1
           Day 1 -|
           Day 2 -|
           Day 3 -|
           Day 4 -|
           Day 5 -|
           Day 6 -|
                  |- - - copied to - - - - - - - - - -> Daily 1

/------We clean up the 2nd HD at the end of this-------/

Full - - - - - - - - - - copied to - -> Weekly 2
           Day 1 -|
           Day 2 -|
           Day 3 -|
           Day 4 -|
           Day 5 -|
           Day 6 -|
                  |- - - copied to - - - - - - - - - -> Daily 2

/------We clean up the 2nd HD at the end of this-------/

We copy the Full on 2nd hard drive to Weekly tape after it's done.
At the end of Day 6, we can copy everything onto Daily tape.
After 8 weeks, we recycle the tapes.

Assumptions:
1. Tapeless backup onto a 2nd hard drive is done first, then is copied
to tapes.
2. Tapes have sufficient sizes, so only one tape is needed at a time.
3. And GNU-tar is used with Amanda.

Problems with restoring:
1. For restore from Weekly tapes, the whole tape has to be dumped to the hard drive, then amanda is used to select the correct files/folders.

2. For restore from Daily tapes, again, the tape contents have to be
dumped to hard drive, then amanda is used.

3. How should Amanda's database/index be handled???
   Should they be backed up to tapes along with its data??

4. If the database/index are to be backed up to tapes, Does it mean
   when restore, I need to put them back to their correct place, i.e.,
   /tmp/amanda , etc. ???

thank you for any comments.