Amanda-Users

Re: "host down" on server

2003-03-05 14:03:35
Subject: Re: "host down" on server
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jeffrey Parker <jwp AT xnet DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:18:52 -0500 (EST)
CCed back to the list -- please keep all discussions there, for the
archives and so others can jump in.

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 at 10:13am, Jeffrey Parker wrote

>       Thanks for getting back to me.  I HAVE checked the above.
> Here's where I am puzzled.  I get no  /tmp/amanda/amandad*debug?
> because (I thought) that amandad is not configuired for the server.
> All docs I have make no entry for amandad in inetd.conf.  I assumed

??  That's not what docs/INSTALL says.  You need to set up (x)inetd
entries for amanda for all clients.

> I would not used amandad because the FS's are local.  Just for the

Even if it's the server, it's still also a client.

> heck of it, however, I tried putting the amandad entry for the clients
> in the server inetd.conf and then I would get errors from dump
> saying that the specified filesystems are not readable.

So now you've got permissions problems.  The user amanda is running as
needs to have read permissions on the raw disk devices.

BTW, it woule *really* help if you included the actual error messages when
asking for help.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering