Amanda-Users

Re: linux, lvm, and snapshots

2003-03-03 05:00:24
Subject: Re: linux, lvm, and snapshots
From: Christopher Odenbach <odenbach AT hni.uni-paderborn DOT de>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:52:41 +0100
Hi,

> Solaris keeps a file tracking changes that the docs say can grow
> quite large.  As you keep your snapshots for a full day, what
> types of sizes do you see; any problems?

Any problems at all. To get an idea of how much additional space is
needed for the snapshot, just have a look at an amanda level 1 dump,
one day after a level 0 dump. We have changes less than 10% of the
filesystem size.

So: We have a home-share which should be backed up:

/dev/dsk/c1t2d0s6    7741365 5844894 1509403    80%    /home

We added an extra drive for tracking the changes:

/dev/dsk/c1t2d0s7     961623   70794  842748     8%    /backingstore

The snapshot is then mounted:

/dev/fssnap/0        7741365 5842323 1511974    80%    /snapshot/home

The home is shared via nfs as /homes/pooh and via samba
([homes]-share). The snapshot is shared equally as
/snapshots/homes/pooh. This has the great advantage that it's now easy
to share the snapshot via samba: We use 'path = /snapshots/%H'.

> Also, what do you do for names in the disklist and during recovery.

Of course, they differ. We back up the snapshot, but we want to restore
into the normal filesystem. This requires one extra command:

- cd /home
- start amrecover
- enter 'setdisk /snapshot/home'

and that's it.

> Are the names unique to the mountpoint of the snapshot or still
> refer to the original locations.  How about recoveries directly
> to the original directory tree, is that possible as you are backing
> up a different mount point than the active FS.

See the above.

Greetings,

Christopher

    Dipl.-Ing. Christopher Odenbach