Amanda-Users

Re: sol 2.6 HP-C1557A (12000e) changer device

2003-02-10 09:23:54
Subject: Re: sol 2.6 HP-C1557A (12000e) changer device
From: Martin hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:43:01 +0000

Sounds like you need to get the chg-<insert_option> working first.

have a look at the docs in the tape-changer directory.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 10 February 2003 06:48, forster AT bluemail DOT ch wrote:

Hello

I did lots of reading manuals and mailing lists but still not
succeeded in having amanda talk to the changer.

Config:
amanda 2.4.3
solaris 2.6
HP surestore C1557A (12000e)

amanda cannot use it.

*******
/dev/lus ->
../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@3/SUNW,isptwo@4/lus@0,0:0

[pbrazor1]/export/home/amanda$ amtape Daily show
amtape: could not get changer info: open: /dev/lus: Bad file
number *******

There is only 1 device in rmt '/dev/rmt/0...' .
Installation test-routine of the changer software says:

********
[pbrazor1]/etc/LGTOuscsi$ ./inquire
[email protected]:FUJITSU MAB3091S SUN9.0G1806|Disk,
/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2 [email protected]:HP C1557A U709|Tape,
/dev/rmt/0mbn
[email protected]:HP C1557A U709|Autochanger (Jukebox)

/dev/rmt/0mbn -> ../../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@2,1/st@4,0:mbn
********

But there is no 'st@4,1....' either.

So which software do I need to install or what configuration is
needed?

Thanks for any help
urs

I don't believe this is an amanda problem, but a solaris kernel problem. Unforch, I'll leave the definitive solaris answers to Jon.

If its anything like linux, then you should find the correct device in the /var/log/dmesg (or whatever solaris calls it) file. If its not there, the next question is, is solaris doing a 'scan all luns' on boot, I believe it must in order to find the changer robot since many of them are located at the same bus address as the drive itself, but at a higher Logical Unit Number, aka 'lun'. For a linux kernel, this must be turned on in the kernel config and the kernel rebuilt as it doesn't default to on.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com