Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with stacker mode

2003-02-05 12:25:46
Subject: Re: Problem with stacker mode
From: Chris Dahn <chris.dahn AT computer DOT org>
To: yam <yam AT debianized DOT org>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:50:10 -0500
> From looking at the docs and some quick googling, I don't think stacker
> mode works like this.  Yes, it will automatically load the next tape when
> it hits EOT, but I don't see any indications that the autoloader firmware
> virtualizes this and presents one contiguous tape to the OS.
>
> So you're going to have to split that big fs up (using tar).  Whether you
> stay in stacker mode or go back to random is up to you.  Myself, I'd go
> back to random.

  I have an autochanger here that is in stacker mode, and it seems that this
is in fact (not one contiguous tape) how it appears to work, although I
havn't done extensive testing with it. I suppose if you _really_ wanted to
keep it in stack mode, you could try to kludge something together with
chg-manual, where it ejects the tape, auto-loads the next then tells it to
continue. At that rate you may as well go back to running it in random mode
though.