Amanda-Users

Re: device prefixes for md disks in Solaris?

2003-01-28 10:26:45
Subject: Re: device prefixes for md disks in Solaris?
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 28 Jan 2003 09:59:40 -0500
On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 09:36, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> It looks like this is defined (as DEV_PREFIX and RDEV_PREFIX) in
> config/config.h based on the results of ./configure.  You could add the
> check to the configure script or just change the values of (R)DEV_PREFIX
> in config.h.  I'm not sure if this will break anything, so test it.

Thanks, I will.

> Well, IMO, mount points look a lit nicer than device names.  They also
> stay consistent should the underlying hardware/config change.  Just my
> $0.02.

I've gotten several responses to that effect.  I disagree, respectfully
of course.  ;)  I guess I'm just more hardware-oriented.  Mount points
can change-- maybe moving from one spindle to another.  I'd rather track
my backups from the disk perspective-- I know that /dev/md/dsk/d14 is
*always* on a different spindle than /dev/md/dsk/d5, because the RAID
devices are made up of separate drives on separate controllers.  Thus I
know that no matter what is mounted where, those two devices may be
dumped in parallel.  I do keep the mount point in the form of a comment
at the end of the line, however.

I think it's a tribute to the flexibility of AMANDA that we can all
configure our backups in the same way that we think about our data.  It
makes us all the more efficient at what we do.  :)

Eric