Amanda-Users

Re: GNUTAR

2003-01-24 11:22:21
Subject: Re: GNUTAR
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net, simon-amanda-users AT blackstar.co DOT uk, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:34:38 -0600
--On Friday, January 24, 2003 08:45:24 -0500 Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc
DOT net> wrote:

On Friday 24 January 2003 06:00, Simon Young wrote:
Hi,

I'm using tar for backup, but my DLEs refer to device names. For
example,

henry   /dev/sda1       root-tar
henry   /dev/sda2       user-tar

I'm also trying to use exclude lists, but these don't seem to be
working as I would expect them to (it looks like they're being
ignored).

The question is, should I be refering to paths rather than devices
when using tar? Like this:

Somewhat...
henry   /       root-tar
henry   /usr    user-tar

Your first line will also cover the second one, and on todays
systems, either will likely generate a level 0 bigger than the
tape. I don't do /, but each subdir, and /usr is further broken
down into /usr/bin, /usr/etc, /usr/local and so on entries.
Here, /usr/src and /usr/dlds can make a tape full each by themselves
with /usr/music bringing up the next biggest file. YMMV of course.

If both the above examples are the same system (i.e. / is /dev/sda1
and /usr is /sda2), then using / for a DLE won't include /usr.  Dump
limits itself to a single filesystem, and gnutar is called with the
--one-file-system option so it won't traverse mounted subdirectories.

Frank

...and have an exclude file for, say, the root filesystem which
ignores all the mount points covered by the other DLEs?

The format of the exclude files entries is in relative format, as in
"./entry".  So if you had an entry that was ./etc, it would skip
all the etc dirs it runs into in that dle.

Or at least thats how I had it setup.  I'm not using the excludes
now as I just don't put them into the disklist in the first place,
so this info may be old.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M

Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com
Systems Administrator                                  Voice: 512-374-4673
Hoover's Online                                          Fax: 512-374-4501