Amanda-Users

LTO Ultrium

2003-01-24 09:28:05
Subject: LTO Ultrium
From: Martin Oehler <martin.oehler AT gmx DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 24 Jan 2003 14:53:26 +0100
Hi!

I've run tapetype on a LTO Ultrium drive and some questions concerning
the results. The tapetype test has been made twice, once with
hardware compression (HC) turned on (by mistake) and once with  HC
turned off.

The OS is Linux and 'mt' is telling me actually:
# mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 1
Compression off.

The results of the first run (with HC) were:

define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 104261 mbytes
    filemark 545 kbytes
    speed 1601 kps

}

Results without HC:

define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 104302 mbytes
    filemark 547 kbytes
    speed 1603 kps
}

Why is the length the same? Seems like switching the compression modes
with mt is not working.

Additionally, I can't understand why the speed is that slow. The drive
should write about 15 MB/sec without HC. Is it possible to ignore
the measured speed and use the one from the datasheet of the tape?

The used amanda version is amanda-2.4.3 .

Thanks in advance for your help,
Martin Öhler