Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda correct hostname resolution

2003-01-22 11:18:03
Subject: Re: Amanda correct hostname resolution
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: santi AT mleads DOT com
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:37:38 +0000
Santiago wrote:
Hello. I am new to amanda, so please forgive any newbie questions. I have done my best to RTFM for all of the docs I can find googling amanda. My question relates to the hostname lookup performed by amanda - I have put the correct machine name/IP in /etc/hosts. There is no DNS resolution for this machine (or many other machines that I will be backing up). How do I correct this error and get amanda to resolve hostnames correctly (from my /etc/hosts file)?

TIA,
Santiago

Yes, the machine resolves to /etc/hosts first.

[root@backup root]# ping scratchy
PING scratchy (xxx.xxx.195.18) from 10.0.0.10 : 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from scratchy (xxx.xxx.195.18): icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=0.652 ms
64 bytes from scratchy (xxx.xxx.195.18): icmp_seq=2 ttl=254 time=0.286 ms

[root@backup root]# su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 218906388 KB disk space available, that's plenty
ERROR: /dev/nst0: No such file or directory
       (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
NOTE: info dir /usr/local/var/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run
Server check took 0.018 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
ERROR: scratchy: [addr xxx.xxx.195.20: hostname lookup failed]
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.061 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.3)

What does the debug stuff in /tmp/amanda look like? There may be a clue in there as to why.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.