Amanda-Users

Re: NTFS drive

2003-01-20 19:39:28
Subject: Re: NTFS drive
From: Karakas AT t-online DOT de (Chris Karakas)
To: "Michael J. Pawlowsky" <mikejp AT videotron DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:10:37 +0100
"Michael J. Pawlowsky" wrote:

> Is there anything special I need to do to backup a NTFS disk that's mounted
> on my Linux box?
> It's a dual boot machine and I would like to backup the Windows disk also.

Since this is a dual boot system, you cannot use smbclient to access the
NTFS disk, because Windows (the "SMB server" in this case) is not
running. So you will have to have the filesystems mounted when AMANDA
runs. Assuming C: is mounted under /dos/c, D: under /dos/d and so on,
here is the disklist entries you will need:

yourhostname /dos/c                  user-tar-local    3 local
yourhostname /dos/d                  user-tar-local    3 local

You should *NOT* use the SAMBA way:

yourhostname //yourhostname/c                  user-tar-local    3 local
yourhostname //yourhostname/d                  user-tar-local    3 local

for the above obvious reason. Unless you start also a SAMBA server on
yourhostname, configuring c and d to be the directories /dos/c and
/dos/d respectively. But this way should be slower than the first one
that uses the mounted filesystems directly and not through a SAMBA
server.

That's all.

--
Regards