Amanda-Users

Re: advantages of amanda over ADSM or other backup utilities?

2003-01-13 02:35:16
Subject: Re: advantages of amanda over ADSM or other backup utilities?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:56:16 -0500
On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:36:33AM +0530, Nitesh Kumar A. wrote:

> I am yet to understand the advantages of AMANDA over other backup
> utilities like ADSM, etc other than AMANDA being a freebie?
>
> May I know some of the reasons why AMANDA edges over other traditional
> Unix backup utilities.

stable
does what it claims
source available
well supported
good, unique scheduling module
networked
scales well from a single system to moderatly large installations

>From your "yet to understand", I assume you have compared amanda to
other traditional unix backup utilities.  May we know some of your
comparison results?  Or the features you find attractive in other
traditional unix backup utilities?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)