Amanda-Users

Re: small holdingdisk, large FS

2003-01-11 18:08:42
Subject: Re: small holdingdisk, large FS
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:24:48 -0500
On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:21:11PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:01:11AM +0200, Johannes Niess wrote:
> > Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> writes:

> that's what I learned today, too (after getting a bigger & faster
> tape) :-(

> The same goes even if the disk(s) are all local.
>
> > > I don't believe so.  I think the entire fs is dumped to the holding disk
> > > before anything gets sent to tape.  If the holding disk is not large
> > > enough to hold the fs, it must go directly to tape.
>
> There should be a way around this, otherwise the holding disk idea is
> only half as powerful as can be. A modern tape drive eats data faster
> than reasonable disks can deliver directly from the file system (in my
> case: a DLT drive, and a 36G disk which I arranged to be idle during
> my tests).

In that case, except for the parallelism, going directly to tape is a fine
choice.

> > > The chunksize parameter is generally used to work around the single
> > > file size limit that some os's have.
>
> That's "underused. How hard would it be to fix that?

I suspect very substantial.  Much of amanda's use of the holding disk assumes
a complete backup exists there.

> > On the source level maybe an insane increase to the buffer
> > between the two taper processes could help. That leads to heavy RAM
> > and OS swap space usage on the tape server.
>
> That I don't understand. Can you please point to a specific place
> in the source where I should be looking? Currently I'm using the
> Debian package of 2.4.3, but could (and would) tweak the source
> if that would be helpful.
>
> > Or you could switch from dump to tar and backup subdirectories that
> > each are less than 4 GB.
>
> Tar is even worse since it hammers the disk on end just to figure out
> the prospective backup size, and then goes all over it again to collect
> the data, -and- is way, way slower than dump. I don't know if not all
> to-be supported platforms have "du", but that is much faster than tar,
> and could (?) be well enough for producing an estimate. When I made
> backups without Amanda, the speed difference was about a factor of 10...

There have been proposals and workarounds to substitute your own estimate
procedure for calcsize.  I don't have them at hand however.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)