Amanda-Users

Solaris 8, mtx 1.2.11, amanda 2.4.2p2, Sun StorgEdge 9, LTO

2003-01-08 18:30:01
Subject: Solaris 8, mtx 1.2.11, amanda 2.4.2p2, Sun StorgEdge 9, LTO
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT csserv.wadsworth DOT org>, mtx-general AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:23:01 -0500 (EST)
Amanda_users,
mtx_general,

With great assistance (thanks Darin Perusich <darinper AT cognigencorp DOT com>)
I have installed amanda 2.4.2p2 on Solaris 8 using changer chg-zd-mtx
and mtx 1.2.11.

Our tape drive is at /dev/rmt/0cn and our changer (following
modification of /kernel/drv/sgen.conf) is at /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d0.
We have a StorEdge 9 slot Jukebox, apparently with HP C7145 guts.
The tape drive itself is an "LTO".

For the most part things are working well, we are able to run
amcheck, amdump and amtape - though there are some difficulties.

I can use /usr/lib/libexec/chg-dz-mtx to advance to the next
tape in the jukebox or to return to the first tape.

MTX itself seems to be working ok.

# /usr/local/sbin/mtx -f /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d0 inquiry
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'HP      '
Product ID: 'C7145           '
Revision: '233S'
Attached Changer: No

However there are a couple of things that are not working correctly.

1) I can not use amtape to label the tape in a specific slot,
however I can label the tape in the "current" slot" using amlabel.

> /usr/local/sbin/amtape ninfo slot 2
amtape: could not load slot 0: illegal request

2) I can not use chg-dz-mtx to load a specific tape, this is probably
   a causal factor for problem 1 above.

> /usr/local/libexec/chg-zd-mtx -slot 2
0 illegal request

3) I can advance to "slot next", or "reset" to the first slot without error.

4) The amtape "update" command builds a list of internal/amanda tape
   labels and bar-code labels ? This is only leaving a single entry
   in the file changer-status-barcodes, I'd thought it would build a
   listing so that the scanner could determine which tapes where present
   without having to load/unload them. I could be wrong but I don't
   understand the purpose of this file otherwise.

5) Disturbingly when I use the amtape command "show" it will show me
   that I have different empty slot if I'm positioned at a different
   "current" tape. Is the "current" tape no longer considered to be
   in the carossel ?

6) Do I need "rawtapedev" ? What does it do ?

>From amanda.conf
----------------
runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"
tapedev "/dev/rmt/0cn"  # the no-rewind tape device to be used
rawtapedev "/dev/null"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/ninfo/chg-zd-mtx"
changerdev "/dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d0"

> cat chg-zd-mtx.conf
firstslot=1
lastslot=9
cleanslot=3
AUTOCLEAN=0
autocleancount=99
havereader=1
offlinestatus=0
OFFLINE_BEFORE_UNLOAD=0

I assume I've misconfigured something but have been unable to put
my finger on it.

                                                thanks for your help,

                                                Brian

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org