Amanda-Users

Re: No index records for host

2003-01-04 05:42:48
Subject: Re: No index records for host
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, jrj AT purdue DOT edu
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 04:55:37 -0500
On Saturday 04 January 2003 03:03, Frank Smith wrote:
>--On Friday, January 03, 2003 22:18:18 -0500 "John R. Jackson"
<jrj AT purdue DOT edu> wrote:
>>> Is there a reason indexing isn't on by default?  They don't
>>> really take up that much space ...
>>
>> I beg to differ:
>>
>>   $ du -sk /var/amanda/index/champion
>>   4641743 /var/amanda/index/champion
>>
>> Yup.  Four and a half *GBytes*.

Wow, here its maybe 50 megs
[...]
>>> Just curious as why some of the defaults are the way they are.
>>
>> Ah, now that's a completely different question :-).  The answer,
>> as is often the case, is "because it's always been that way".
>> Changing the default could be a *big* surprise to folks who
>> upgrade.
>
>Like suddenly making the existance of a listed exclude file
> required in 2.4.3 when it used to be optional?
>
>Frank

I just got curious, and commented that line out of the dumptype,
then removed the empty, made by touch file.  amcheck didn't notice.
==============================
#>amanda@coyote DailySet1]$ amcheck DailySet1
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 32758100 KB disk space available, using
27638100 KB
amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20021209 label DailySet1-23 (exact
label match)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape DailySet1-23 label ok
Server check took 13.840 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.091 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.3-20030102)
=========================
So its apparently only needed if you specify it.  Putting the line
back in gets me 36 errors because there are 36 entries in the
disklist that include that dumptype.

Since the error can be treated with a "touch" of the specified file,
or a comment in front of it in the dumptype, it doesn't seem like a
real problem.  Even when it was optional, I think I can recall it
was a problem for tar if it was passed as argument but didn't
exist.  So makeing it an ERROR to amcheck does seem to make a wee
bit of sense from this users viewpoint.  But I honestly can't say
when that change was made.  I build them and put them in service
when Jean-Louis puts up a fresh 2.4.3 snapshot, so that was
probably many installs back up the log now.   Its in the Changelog
maybe?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M