Amanda-Users

Re: DLT220 amd Amanda

2002-11-29 12:51:41
Subject: Re: DLT220 amd Amanda
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Joachim Scharfenbaum <joscha AT uni-paderborn DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:34:24 -0500
On Friday 29 November 2002 09:54, Joachim Scharfenbaum wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I want to use SDLT220 to backup my files. Has anyone got the
> tapetypes for a Quantum SDLT220?

I don't, but there is a tapetype program in the tape-src dir that
isn't built by default, you cd to the dir and 'make tapetype'.

To get correct answers from it, you must make sure that any
compression the drive can do is turned off before starting
tapetype, which will take quite a while to run, else it will report
the tape as smaller than it should be because the compressor in the
drive will be overpowerd by the data from /dev/urandom, which is
the data source for tapetype as it runs.  This will tend to give
falsely small working capacities of the tape, sometimes by 15 to 20
percent too small.  Besides, software compression by amanda can
often smunch data down to <20% of its original size if the email
reports I get from amanda are any indication.  So find the
dipswitch and shut it off for good is the general recomendation on
this list.  Amanda will, once some history is built up, knows
pretty well how much a given disklist entry will compress, and can
therefore make some pretty accurate guesses as to how much data she
can shove down the cable before the tape will hit EOT.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M