Amanda-Users

Re: Problem labeling my first tape !

2002-11-17 07:29:28
Subject: Re: Problem labeling my first tape !
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: JP <jp AT msfree DOT ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:47:07 +0100
Hi,
for me this looks either like a bad tape or a dead tape-drive.
had similar messages early this year and the tapedrive was gone.
luckily it was young enough to ge in waranty.

i too had the messages about linux beeing unable to allocate memory.
they went away after the drive was repaired.

Christoph

JP schrieb:
Hi,

I just install Amanda for the first time and now i want to label my
first tape.

I've put a tape in the drive and check the status. It's online and BOT i
guess is for Beginning Of Tape !?

[root@lux2 log]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

So i ran: [root@lux2 log]# su Amanda -c "amlabel DailySet1 CS400"
and got the following errors

in syslog:
kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x2, Current st09:00: sense
key Medium Error kernel: Additional sense indicates Write error
kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.
and
kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x8000, Current st09:00:
sense key Medium Error kernel: Additional sense indicates Sequential
positioning error

on the command line:
 su amanda -c "amlabel DailySet1 CS400"
rewinding, reading label, reading label: Cannot allocate memory
rewinding, writing label CS400, checking label
amlabel: reading label: Input/output error

Anybody had that problem before ? Does it mean that my tape drive is bad
?

(Mandrake 8.2, Amanda-2.4.3, HP Jetstore 5000 (HP35480A), Adaptec
2940UW)

Thanks,

JP
jp at msfree dot ca