Amanda-Users

recovering SMB files

2002-11-13 09:30:56
Subject: recovering SMB files
From: Jonathan Swaby <jfs10 AT bnext.stucen.gatech DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:42:15 -0500 (EST)
I have read the recent thread about crash recovery, and I have tried some of
the things mentioned in the notes. I am using amanda 2.4.3b3 on a Linux box to
backup Win2k shares to HD. The backup process works just fine, and I have not
had a need to restore anything yet, but I figured I should give that process a
try. I have tried amrecover recently and in the past without success. I have
tried the commands included in the output report, dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1.
<tape> in my case is a file on the hd. This generates a file that is not a zip
file or a tar file. I have also tried this without the skip=1 option. amrestore
<filename> has produced a file that I can recover from. In my setup, is there a
down side to using amrestore, then using tar? Any ideas on why using dd is not
working for me?

Thanks Jonathan Swaby