Amanda-Users

Re: dump/ufsdump instead of tar/dd

2002-11-12 01:28:17
Subject: Re: dump/ufsdump instead of tar/dd
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:59:40 -0500
On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:20:57PM +1100, Joseph Sirucka wrote:
> Hi Frank
>
> I added the dump entries, since its my first go please tell me of any
> errors you see in relation to dump
> define dumptype always-full {
>     global
>     comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
>     compress none
>     priority high
>     dumpcycle 0
> }
>
> define dumptype root-dump {
>     global
>     program "DUMP"
>     comment "root partitions dumped with dump"
>     compress none
>     exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.dump"

exclude only works with gnutar to my knowledge

>     priority low
> }
>
> define dumptype root-tar {
>     global
>     program "GNUTAR"
>     comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
>     compress none
>     exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
>     priority low
> }
>
> define dumptype high-dump {
>     root-dump
>     comment "partitions dumped with dump"
>     priority high
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-root-dump {
>     root-dump
>     comment "Root partitions with compression"
>     compress client fast
> }
>
> define dumptype holding-disk {
>     global
>     comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
>     holdingdisk no # do not use the holding disk
>     priority medium
> }

Not sure why you would want to backup the holding disk.

> define dumptype comp-daily-full {
>     global
>     comment "Full dump daily with compression"
>     compress client fast
>     priority high
>     dumpcycle 0
> }

Name comment:  what makes this linked to "daily".
Looks like just "comp-full".  How does it differ
from "comp-weekly-full" :)

> define dumptype snap-full {
>     global
>     comment "Snapshot backup"
>     compress none
>     priority high
>     record no
>     dumpcycle 0
> }
>
> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:20, Frank Smith wrote:
> > --On Tuesday, November 12, 2002 14:26:05 +1100 Joseph Sirucka
> > <Joseph.Sirucka AT team.telstra DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > > Can Amanda use dump/ufsdump instead of tar/dd.
> >
> > Yes.  Use 'program "DUMP"' in your dumptype definition instead
> > of 'program "GNUTAR"'.  Actually, I think it defaults to dump
> > if you don't have a program line in your dumptype.
> >
> > Frank
> >

> > > regards
> > >
> > > Joseph
> >

> > --
> > Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT
> > hoovers DOT com
> > Systems Administrator                                     Voice:
> > 512-374-4673
> > Hoover's Online                                             Fax:
> > 512-374-4501
>

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)