Amanda-Users

Re: wishlist suggestions

2002-11-07 12:28:39
Subject: Re: wishlist suggestions
From: "Todd T. Fries" <todd AT fries DOT net>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:52:17 -0600
Using DLT tapes, things are supposed to be reliable, is my recollection.

It has been a few years since I worked with adsm, perhaps things were not
as I recall, perhaps it kept a minimum of two copies of the same data,
a redundancy setting could not hurt in any event .. but the concept of
using a full tape instead of a partial portion of a tape would be very
useful to many people, I would expect.

At the very least, one could make the following requirements for this
to occur:

        - the 'holding disk' must have enough free space to extract the
          current tape
        - the time to extract the tape to the hard drive is acceptable

Given that, one could add more backups to existing backups until a 2nd
tape was needed, and still abide by amanda's montra 'only write to tapes
from the beginning'.
--
Todd Fries .. todd AT fries DOT net

(last updated $ToddFries: signature.p,v 1.2 2002/03/19 15:10:18 todd Exp $)

Penned by Frank Smith on Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:09:55AM -0600, we have: