Amanda-Users

XFS: bulkstat inode messages and 2.3

2002-11-06 06:34:35
Subject: XFS: bulkstat inode messages and 2.3
From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt AT acu.ac DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:07:05 +0000
Hi,

I'm using Amanda to back up servers with XFS partitions, and from time
to time I get messages like the following:-

| xfsdump: dumping non-directory files
? xfsdump: WARNING: failed to get bulkstat information for inode 58817725

I've looked at the details of this, and my understanding is that this
results from a change on disk during Amanda's run. Some while ago,
someone on the XFS list provided a patch for Amanda, to make this
message go away by simply adding it to Amanda's list of "known safe"
output from xfsdump. The patch is in the XFS mailing list archive at:-

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail_archive/200111/msg00642.html

I've had a look at the 2.4.3 source, and this doesn't seem to be there,
nor does anything similar, so I imagine that 2.4.3 will still complain
when it sees messages like the above.

I was just wondering if there's any concensus among Amanda users running
XFS about this. What do most people do - just ignore them, or just apply
the patch? Is the concensus that these errors really are harmless, and
can be safely ignored, or does anyone have different information?

Mike.