Amanda-Users

Re: amlabel: Operation not permitted

2002-09-11 18:15:53
Subject: Re: amlabel: Operation not permitted
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:50:23 -0400
On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 05:21:39PM -0400, Caitlyn M. Martin wrote:

> Hi, everyone,
>
> I'm trying to setup a new backup server running Red Hat and Amanda
> 2.4.2p2.  I'm using an Exabyte VXA-1 RakPaq, basically two LVD SCSI
> VXA-1 tape drives which I have daisy chained together.  vxaTool reports
> that the first drive is /dev/sga and the second is /dev/sgb.  I can
> access either drive with mt or vxaTool, so I believe my issue is with
> Amanda.
>
> I'm trying to label a tape before doing my first (test) backup with the
> command:
>
> su -c amanda "amlabel DailySet1 DailySet101"
>
> The system first responds:
>
> rewinding
> amlabel:  rewinding tape:  Operation not permitted
>
> I suspect a permissions issue as I can rewind the tape as root using
> vxaTool.  Also, if I run the amlabel command as root it will say:
>
> amlabel:  running as user "root" instead of "amanda"
>
> I know I'm doing something simple and stupid wrong, but for the life of
> me I can't see what.  I can post relevant sections of my amanda.conf
> file if it will help.
>
> I've setup Amanda before, but it was on Solaris and it was a few years
> ago.  Any clues where I'm being thickheaded?

What are the permissions on sga and sgb and vxaTool?

        $ ls -l -L /dev/sga /dev/sgb

What operations can you perform with mt.  Is rewind one of them?

Are sga and sgb the actual tape read and write devices or the changer
mechanisms?

What chg-XXX driver are you using and as amanda, can you cd to the config dir,
then run chg-XXX status or info or slot # or ???.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)