Amanda-Users

Re: gnutar dies on RedHat 6.2

2002-09-06 11:16:09
Subject: Re: gnutar dies on RedHat 6.2
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:52:19 -0400
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:55:35AM +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> At 07:11 9/4/2002 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >On Wednesday 04 September 2002 01:52, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>Got a working amanda 2.4.3b2 installation running on a FreeBSD 4.6
> >>server. AFAICS everything is OK except for one thing, backing up
> >> RedHat 6.2 systems with gnutar. The only trace of the failure I
> >> have is the following in /tmp/amanda/:
> >>
> >>sendsize: asking killpgrp to terminate
> >>sendsize: calculating for amname '/etc', dirname '/etc'
> >>sendsize: getting size via gnutar for /etc level 0
> >>
> >>and then nothing. Dump is fine from same machine.
> >>
> >>Grateful for a hint,
> >>Per olof
> >
> >Upgrade your 6.2 boxes gnutar to at least 1.13-19?
> >1.13-25 is the latest, on alpha.gnu.org.
>
> Thanks everybody for your tips. However, I still get the error (or absence
> of error) above after upgrading to 1.13.25.
> Is there a way to increase the verbosity of the debug files to find out
> what is going on? Or can I use sendsize manually on the client? I'm stuck
> at the moment.

If you look at the runtar debugging files you should see the exact command
lines for tar executed by sendsize.  Note, the tar commands used for size
calculations have their output going to "/dev/null".  The nearly identical
ones used to do the actual backups would be going to stdout, and thus the
filename for output would be "-" (just a dash).

I think they would have to be executed as root on the client.

There are /tmp/amanda debug files on both the client and server.
Have you checked through both for clues?

Just for info, are you also running version 2.4.3b2 amanda on the client system?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)