Amanda-Users

Amanda changes her mind after tape removed from rotation.

2002-09-06 08:37:49
Subject: Amanda changes her mind after tape removed from rotation.
From: Doug Johnson <doug.johnson AT vifanusa DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:22:53 -0400
This is not really a problem but a question of why. As part of our tape
rotation we remove the last backup of the month and store it as a snapshot
of the month-end. Before physically removing the tape from rotation (by
no-reuse tapelabel) the last information we get from amanda is:

These dumps were to tape DailySet106.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet108.

So our procedure here is to remove DailySet106. and add a new tape, say
DailySet115. This happens without a problem but where we run into issues is
now Amanda doesn't want DailySet108 anymore, she wants DailySet115. The only
way to know she has changed her mind is to run a amcheck to see what she
expects. Looking at the man page for amanda I see.

no-reuse tapelabel [ ... ]
              The tapes listed will not be reused when their turn comes up
again in the tape cycle.  Note that if this
              causes the number of reusable tapes to drop below the
amanda.conf tapecycle value, Amanda  will  request
              new tapes until the count is satisfied again.

So I have tried not giving her a new tape in her config just removing the
old one and letting one backup pass before adding the new tape to the
rotation. She still wants a different tape but one that is in the list and
not the one she initially wanted after the last backup.  The cycle
configuration for this machine's backups is very simple due to the small
amount of data this machine is backing up:

dumpcycle 0             # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 0          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just
weekdays)
tapecycle 5 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (just
                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
                        # backups performed at the beginning of the previous
                        # cycle

Any comments?
Thanks much in advance,
Doug